Time zone issue with calendar published from Outlook

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:47 PM

I have published my work calendar from Outlook in .ics format, and it runs through calendars.office.microsoft.com.  I have this ics linked in my Google Calendar account, and it detects that the time zone is GMT +0, and appointment times show correctly on Google. 

However the calendar gadget shows all my appointments from this ical as 5 hours off (i.e. an 8am appointment is showing as 1pm).  I am normally in US Central time (GMT -6 / GMT -5 during DST).  I believe the gadget is not detecting that the ICS is in GMT+0 and is adding a time zone offset to it to match the time zone of my PC.

I've read some discussions on this topic and found some other threads regarding time zone offset, but none seemed to involve this particular ICS source and I did not see any details on possibly setting the time zone offset manually.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

James

Coordinator
Aug 7, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Hi, timezones are often an issue as every calendar provider handles the timezones differently. Would be possible to send me a sample of your calendar? Without it I'm not sure if I can help... Thanks a lot!

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:45 AM

I figured time zones would be difficult to diagnose without the actual data. I'd rather not share the links to my icals here.... but I'd guess any ical from calendars.office.microsoft.com (the default cal publishing service in Outlook 07+) would have the same issue.

I found a workaround to this issue though.  As I said in my post above, I am viewing my work ical in my Google calendar account so that my work events will show on my personal calendar.

On Google Calendar, it's possible to then turn around and publish that imported ical so you could link it into another ical viewer... such as WLCalendar gadget. 

Settings > Calendar Settings > Calendars > click the calendar name in the list at the bottom > ICAL button.

So now I have the calendars.office.microsoft.com version of this ical which has +0 GMT offset.... and I have the Google version which has the time zone corrected to Central time - which matches my main Google cal and my PC's time zone setting.

Long story short, the gadget is working beautifully now polling those two Google icals.