Using hotmail calendar, can't get bdays to show up

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:39 AM

I've been searching for a good calendar program and I finally discovered this one and I really like it so far. My problem is that I can't get the hotmail birthdays calendar to show up on my WL Calendar Gadget, but I did get it to load my main calendar. I know I need to "share" it to get the url to post but when I visit the hotmail settings page for the birthday calendar, there is no share link visible.  There is also no birthday option if I try to use the drop down share option at the top of the page of the main calendar.  I hope this makes sense.  I'm using Windows 7 Starter, if that matters.  What should I do to fix it?

Also, a suggestion for future features: It would be cool if you could double click entries in the gadget and have it link directly to the online calendar.

Also, it would be great if the days that had events scheduled could be colored differently so you can tell there is something happening. I think they are currently bold, but with my computer's fonts and lighting, it doesn't show up at all.

Thanks so much for making a great program! 

Geo

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Hi, if I can remember I was solving the problem with birthdays calendar a year ago and people from Microsoft officialy confirmed to me that it is not possible to get a URL of birthdays calendar. Maybe the solution could be an interconnection with facebook. As far as I know you can interconnect your hotmail account with facebook and then you should be able to use the birthdays calendar provided by facebook.

To your suggestions - unfortunately I am afraid I cannot satisfy them. The doubleclick for openning the website wouldn't be possible as I am not able to get an url of concrete event. The situation is even worse as the gadget supports any internet calendars in general and so it wouldn't be possible to make this feature available for all of them.

To your second suggestion, you're right, the gadget really accents days with events but it is posisble that the differnce is not noticable on your computer. The gadget supports creation of custom themes, which can solve the problem for you but I don't have a capacity to create one. The only needed knowledge to create a new skin is HTML + CSS so maybe you or one of your friends would be able to create it for you.

Thank you for the suggestions, they are always welcome.

Zbynek

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Thanks so much for responding!

I tried what I thought was a clever work-around and created a new private calendar in hotmail called Bdays and then added the dates for my friends as events. It seemed to work fine and shows up ok in hotmail. The calendar allowed me to click the link to share, but then after I hit save and go back and check it, it says it is not being shared. The same thing is happening to my main calendar. It won't let me share either one now, so none of my events are showing up in your wonderful gadget. :-( I'm so sad I could cry!!! I'm guessing this is a hotmail issue, but what should I do? 

Also I noticed that when I try to paste the links to the shared calendars in your gadget settings, sometimes they start with http and sometimes with webcal. Does it matter which one? Does one work better? Why does it change?

Thanks so much for your help! I really want this to work. I love your app!

Coordinator
Apr 21, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Please make sure, that after you click the link to share the calendar you check the checkbox "Send friends view-only...". Then you will be able to get the link for the calendar. Please read the docuumentation section for more information (http://wlcalendargadget.codeplex.com/documentation).

To answer you quetion about protocols - actualy it doesn't matter. As the gadget communicates over http only the webcal links are internaly interpreted as http...

I'm glad you like the gadget and hope you will solve all your issues and nothing will complicate your use of the app. Thanks for feedback!

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:51 AM

None of my calendars will share so the links don't work. I have the issue posted in the Hotmail forums but none of the mods have been able to help me. I keep trying to share the calendars and hitting save, but when I go back in to settings, they say they are not being shared. It's like my option to share won't take effect. Any ideas what is going on?

Apr 23, 2011 at 4:07 AM

I switched to Google Calendar and your wonderful gadget is working fine!

Coordinator
Apr 23, 2011 at 6:28 AM

Great! Glad to hear it :-)