Aug 2, 2011 at 10:59 PM
Edited Aug 3, 2011 at 10:24 PM
after having the gadget work like a charm for me for about a year i am now having the same problem where the gadget merely shows a small white box with a "<" in the bottom right corner of the white box. i'm actually not too knowledgeable about
adding registry keys so I don't know if i did it correctly, in the pathway i added a key which made a folder under sidebar called " "ShowScriptErrors"=dword:00000001 " After making the change to the registry I ended the sidebar task, then opened
it again. nothing appeared in the registry.
edit: so i guess in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar, i made a new key to create a pathway called [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar\ShowScriptErrors] then within that path
i created a dword value named 00000001. then i shut off sidebar.exe via taskmanager processes. then i restarted the program via the exe located in c:\program files\windows sidebar. there was no error message upon start up.
i'm using windows 7 64-bit
edit 2: i ended up using system restore, there was a point from yesterday as well as one from 4 days ago. the point from yesterday did not resolve my issue, restoring to the point from 4 days ago (which system restore noted as a windows critical update
did restore my calendar (microsoft security essentials client update package - KB2544035, and optional definition update for MSE KB 2310138). between those 4 days i was experiencing constant crashes from google chrome and my AV picked up a trojan. i'm
currently rescanning my computer to see if the restore somehow restored the trojan again. additionally i will re-install the updates and see if they impacted my calendar functionality.
edit 3: did a system restore and the only thing i did after was to reinstall chrome, then restarted my computer and my issue was duplicated. restored system again, restarted my computer and the calendar was fine.
edit 4: after previous system restore the trojan was still in my system. i took the following steps:
1) i located the trojan and deleted it, restarted, and did a full rescan; the system was clean and the calendar was fine. 2) installed the security updates for my MSE, restarted computer, calendar was intact. 3) uninstalled chrome, restarted
computer. problem was duplicated.
every time I uninstalled chrome i did not select a browser to replace chrome as my default browser, so maybe this is the cause. alternatively, i don't use firefox so i don't know if it's an issue of not having a default browser, or specifically an
issue with uninstalling chrome. but now i think for sure there is a casual link between the uninstallation of chrome and my problem with the gadget, at least in my particular case.