Time Zone issue

Nov 3, 2010 at 3:12 AM

The calendars I add to my gadget end up being 4 hours ahead when I look at them. What can I do to bring this back so my appointments show as the right time.

Coordinator
Nov 3, 2010 at 6:39 AM

Hi, handling the time zones is very complicated and apparently there is a bug. Could you please make for me a public calendar so I would be able to reproduce your issue? What's your time zone?

Nov 4, 2010 at 2:49 AM
Edited Nov 4, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Here is a public calendar

http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/nvj31hhejlau4noodnke4ag1ik%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics

with one event at 3-4pm on 11/4. In the new version of wlcalendar, I see the event at 7-8pm on another computer on the old version it shows at the right time. My time zone is (GMT-5) Eastern.

Thanks!

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:09 AM

This seems to be a persistent issue - with GCal anyway, as you had to fix it earlier in the year. It was working in the last version, but is broken again (for GCal anyway). Mine are out by 5 hours (late) for PDT.

I hope you can fix this soon as I really like this widget...

Coordinator
Nov 4, 2010 at 7:56 AM
Edited Nov 4, 2010 at 7:57 AM

Hopefully I've fixed the time zones. Please go ahead and download the current version and let me know if you notice any other issues. Thank you very much for collaboration

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Hi, I have been using your widget for quite a while (a few months at least) and I've been syncing it with google calendar via the ical format. It had been working wonderfully until the update that was released today, November 4th, and now any events that are repeated (like every week or tuesdays and thursdays) end up displaying 5 hours before the actual event (so if it is at 5 pm, it says it is at noon). Individual, non-repeated events don't have this issue. It is just a bit frustrating since it worked perfectly fine before and now that it has been updated it no longer works. If you can fix this I would really appreciate it, or maybe just give me the older version of the widget that didn't have this issue. In any case thanks for the hard work on this, and I just thought I would let you know. 

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:50 PM
Edited Nov 4, 2010 at 6:06 PM

I'm having this problem too (I downloaded today). I'm in the Eastern Time Zone (Toronto, UTC-5. I believe), events that actually starts from 9:00am is displayed as starting from 5:00am. Only recurrent events are affected.

Here is my dummy public calendar (with recurrent event 9:00-10:00am on weekdays, and three single events 12:00-1:00pm on MWF this week):

http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/0bc8nlb06a32oc2sb3in7665p4%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics

Apparently calendar.live.com handles the time zone correctly. I subscribed my google calendar in my live calendar and it shows the correct time. Sadly there is no way to re-share google calendar with the widget through live calendar...

Nov 4, 2010 at 6:02 PM

The update fixed my original issue, but now one of the calendars I use show all their events as 24 hours into the future. Due to the nature of the problems I am having and that the fix seems to break other calendars, I am starting to wonder how it is possible to get different results from different calendar feeds? My plan for now is to return to the version I downloaded a number of weeks ago and wait for this activity to settle out.

Thank you for your efforts.

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:29 PM

just downloaded the latest fix and still broken :-(

now showing 10 hours early

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:30 PM

I've also got an time issue with the latest build - one of my appointments (and ONLY ONE) is showing up one day late.  It's in the Google Calendar on Monday, but comes up in the gadget on Tuesday (correct time, just wrong day!)

- Paul

Coordinator
Nov 6, 2010 at 10:45 PM

I think I've found the bug. I am working on the new release....

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:56 AM

That's great. In the meantime, I am running an earlier version. Thanks for working so hard on this.

Coordinator
Nov 10, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Hi everyone, hopefuly the time zone handling is fixed in the last version. Please let me know, if it's ok now. Thank you all for collaboration

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:12 PM

But my issue with one appointment being placed on Tuesday instead of where it belongs on Wednesday is still there.  If you still have the copy of my ICAL file, it's the Interview scheduled for 2:00 PM Monday the 8th of November.  This appointment shows up in the gadget on Tuesday the 9th at 2:00 PM.

Thanks,

- Paul

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:29 PM

I am also having a similar issue with the latest release. An event scheduled for Thursday the 11th at 3pm shows in the widget as being on Friday at 3 pm.

Thanks,

Mike

Coordinator
Nov 10, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Thank you for reponses. Sorry for those issues, its neverending problem :) (hopfuly not) (it's extremely hard to handle time zones correctly for majority of ical providers - every provider has some speficic features in the ICAL format which complicate the programming). Paul, I have your ics file, but infortunately I cannot reproduce your problem. What's your system time zone and what's the title of the event please? Thanks a lot

Nov 10, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Time zone is EST (GMT-5).  The title of the event in question is "Chubb Interview". 

- Paul

Coordinator
Nov 10, 2010 at 4:12 PM

I'm sorry but I don't have an event with that name in the ics file from you at all. Could you please send me an up-to-date file or could you give me other example? Thank you, I believe I'll fix the issue soon.

Nov 10, 2010 at 4:37 PM
Edited Nov 10, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Sent you a private email with a new copy of the ics file and note of which lines have the event (lines 6078 through 6110).

Coordinator
Nov 10, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Thank you very much; I really appreciate your help. I let you know about the progress...

Coordinator
Nov 13, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Hello, good news, the issue is hopfuly fixed. Please let me know if the last version is ok.

Nov 13, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Yeah!  Congratulations!  Yes, it's fixed.

Now, just what you wanted to hear:  I've also noticed another issue.  (And it's been there all along)  Exceptions to recurring appointments are not handled.  In other words, I have a recurring appointment, "Session Meeting", on the third Tuesday of every month.  BUT, in November it is/was not held at that time but on the 30th.  In my Google calendar, I've deleted that one instance.  Similarly, in December the meeting is not held on the 3rd Tuesday but on the 2nd Tuesday (the 14th.)

Both of these appointments are showing up at their regular time as well as at the re-scheduled time.

Nov 14, 2010 at 6:44 AM

just installed the latest version (2010.10.12.17275)...now I don't have any events showing. I re-entered the ics but no luck.

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2010 at 7:15 AM

Hi, with growing complexity of the gadget is extremely hard to keep it compatible with all main ical providers. I'm sorry for that issue. May I ask you to send me your ics file or create a sample public calendar with the same issue? Btw. what calendar service do you use? Thanks

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:59 PM
poulicek wrote:

Hi, with growing complexity of the gadget is extremely hard to keep it compatible with all main ical providers. I'm sorry for that issue. May I ask you to send me your ics file or create a sample public calendar with the same issue? Btw. what calendar service do you use? Thanks

Hi, I created a public google calendar http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/q7b3ig4r9t6d1fai50k5k3p69c%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics, so you can test on that. I have a repeating appointment at 12:00 noon (Lunch) on week days and created 2 at 09:00 on Monday and Tuesday (November 15 and 16) to allow testing of date and time (Pacific time - PST)

I also use http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/uv2377oruuu5r6nbpher626neg%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics

which is a game calendar for Glasgow Celtic it is set on GMT. Hope that helps.

Andy

Nov 14, 2010 at 8:21 PM
555for666 wrote:
poulicek wrote:

Hi, I created a public google calendar http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/q7b3ig4r9t6d1fai50k5k3p69c%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics, so you can test on that. I have a repeating appointment at 12:00 noon (Lunch) on week days and created 2 at 09:00 on Monday and Tuesday (November 15 and 16) to allow testing of date and time (Pacific time - PST)

I also use http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/uv2377oruuu5r6nbpher626neg%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics

which is a game calendar for Glasgow Celtic it is set on GMT. Hope that helps.

Andy

My bad, I did a system re-boot - just a hunch. Working perfectly now. You might want to include the need to do that in the update instructions (or work out why). I hope you didn't waste a lot of time tracking this down.

Andy

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Hello, thanks for URLs, they definitely helps me to understand to your problem. Originally I thought that your calendar is not possible to load, but there is evidently an issue with time zones only (am I right?) At first sight I see you use the calendar with time zone settings that differ to your system settings. This is unfortunately not supported by the gadget yet. I have to figure out a function that will translate the string defined time zone to number of hours. Will see what I can do. Thanks

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2010 at 8:26 PM

:-) Ok, I am glad is ok know. If you notice any further issues, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:08 PM

That bug costed me 2 missed appointments... Both really important ones.

Coordinator
Dec 10, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Hello, I am really sorry for that. So you experience the time zone issue in the newest version of the gadget or is ok now? If the bug is still there, could you please provide more information and (in ideal case) also a sample calendar?

This issue was coused by diversity of ical format across internet calendar providers - for example Live Calendar handles Time Zones in different way than Google and Google itself uses more variants of time zone tags in its ical format. Becouse of this complexity of the whole problem is hard to simulate end test all possibilities. That's why I am able to fix this issue with your help only.