Temporary Internet Files...

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:17 PM

I have 765 iCalendar files in my temporary internet files of internet explorer. Each one is either 8 or 18 KB. I are these from the gadget? I know it keeps a cache so I have my calendar when I'm offline, is this the cache, and if so why are there so many of them?

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2009 at 8:56 AM

I didn't realize that, but probably they are from the gadget. In the beginning of creation of the gadget I had a problem with internet files caching - I couldn't get the actual ics files from the internet, I was always getting the files from the internet cache. I solved it by generating a unique url for each ics calendar by every update of the gadget. So the mentioned files are the individual ics files downloaded by the gadget updates. I know that this isn't probably the best solution, I'll do a little bit more research. Thanks for the notice!

Nov 15, 2009 at 3:58 PM

I don't know a lot about temporary internet files, but I did notice that one of the columns in the temp files folder is "Expires." Some of the files has a date and some, like the ical files says "Never." I would guess that you can set the files to expire at the end of the time interval set to check for updates.

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2009 at 4:57 PM

The question is, if I'll be able to do that from Javascript (using XMLHttpRequest object). I'll try it and see... Thanks for suggestion!

Coordinator
Nov 17, 2009 at 4:00 PM

I tried to control the caching using http headers, but without success. I don't know about any other solution for now...