WLCalender doesn't update the windows live calender

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Edited Oct 1, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Hello,

i have installed WLCalender on Windows7 64bit. Its a great utility an works fine. But now i found out that the update function for updating the live calenders is still not working. After installing the gadget or reboot the computer the actuall calender will be loaded. In the setup i have an entry for 30 minutes to update the calender but nothing happens. If i change entries on the live.calender website or i create or delete some from my windows phone there nothing changes in the gadget after 30 mins. The update calender function does nothing. :-(

What happens here? How i can install that the gadget automaticly updates the contents. If i create some entries in the morning its very fine i can see them all over the day :-)

greatings
Peter

And now something new :-) I've installed the gadget on Win7ultimat 32bit. There it works very fine. The Calendars update exactle to the time which is in the update-settings. When i change this time in the settings the gadget manualy load the calendar new. This happens NOT on the win7 64bit PC... What goes wrong on the 64bit machine(s)?

greatings
Peter
Coordinator
Nov 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Hi Peter,

thanks for letting me know... It's weird that you're experiencing such troubles on 64bits. I am using 64 bit system everywhere and never had problems. However nowadays the problem can be somewhere else. Microsoft is changing their privacy policies of calendar feeds and it seems that on some systems they are blocking their download. If you experience something like that, please tak a look at this thread where is also described a solution (although it's not an easy one unfortunately) https://wlcalendargadget.codeplex.com/workitem/11223
Dec 1, 2013 at 8:31 PM
I observe the same lack of timely updating as Peter. I update my live.com web calendar using an Outlook 2010 client with the "COM Addin for Microsoft Outlook Hotmail Connector" running Win 7 Home premium. I can verify that the web calendar is updating either by viewing it, or by downloading the .ICS file and viewing it in Outlook. I am confident that I am using the same link as the widget because the links I use to confirm the updates differ only in the file requested (e.g. ,,,/index.html# or ..../calendar.ics). As a result, I can copy the link from the widget and with only trivial modification, use it to verify the live.com webcalendar has updated. .

I thought I would confirm and add some additional observations and actions that may be relevant.

WLCalendar is set to Check for changes every 10 minutes.

Works:
  1. Confirmed that rebooting will force an immediate update.
  2. Ending the sidebar.exe process (using task manager) and restarting sidebar.exe from the run menu (Win+R) forces an immediate, successful update.
  3. The calendar does update eventually (e.g. after 24 hours).
Did NOT work:
  1. "Closed" (pressing the X, I have not tried uninstalling) and Opened the gadget. It did NOT update.
  2. Modified the HOSTS file as described in https://wlcalendargadget.codeplex.com/workitem/11223 and substituting my personal hostname of the form cid-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.calendar.live.com. The gadget does not timely update.
Coordinator
Dec 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM
All right, so after starting the gadget process, you get your data updated but the scheduled update does not work. I need to doublecheck that, thanks for letting me know...
Dec 1, 2013 at 9:23 PM
That is correct. I am not a programmer but if I can provide any additional user testing I would be happy to.
Coordinator
Jan 17, 2016 at 6:20 PM
Hi, after reviewing the gadget's code it seems everything should be allright with the updating. The problem may be in caching. I've done couple improvements, please feel free to try out the newest version which I'll be releasing today.