Worked Perfectly, Now Not Loading Calendar

Nov 26, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Hello!

I love this gadget. Which is why I've just spent the first two hours of my morning trying to get it to work to no avail. I'm now wondering if I should have left well enough alone. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, etc.

I have the alpha installed now, which is the only one that will correctly show the settings page, because I lost the old .ini file.

Ok, the gadget shows correctly now and the settings 'window' has the correct menu items. The only issue now is the ICS link not loading after it attempts too.

The link will NOT work in the browser either, so I'm wondering if its an issue at the Live site.  Note: the gadget did work just a couple of hours ago, and after an install of a new version, it stopped working.

Question: Are there any entries in the registry made by this gadget? Are there other files located on the PC other than in the main Windows Sidebar folder?

Because my gadget worked fine for months, I can rule out things like firewall, etc.

Here is my ICS link:

webcals://cid-fdcacb5f794536c0.calendar.live.com/calendar/private/886b8e9a-7741-4026-808c-a4e551121d9d/ac643076-4e12-4ba0-a10b-01d170883bf0/calendar.ics

I'm so bummed about this not working and slapping myself for messing around with it in the first place!

My goals are:  a) get the gadget working  b) ensure that any un-necessary files and reg entries are deleted (if there are any)

Thanks so much for your help and thanks for the awesome gadget!

Nov 26, 2011 at 8:18 PM

This is an update: I installed the .debug version and received two errors.

The first was a 500, can not display error (although the calendar did load in the sidebar) and then the 12029 error about  not being able to load the calendar at the above link.

I have not had an .ini file created by the new installs... (not sure if there is supposed to be.. but there was an .ini file there before, and I thought a new one would be created....(sigh)

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Hello,

I have the same problem.

Since 25.11. or 28.11. my Calendars aren´t loading anymore.

The days before there was no problem.

I installed the gadget again and the programm showed an update.

But the problem is still there.

The program shows "loading ..." an nothing works.

I have 2 calendars on my harddisk an they also can´t be opened...

I hope someone can help.

Thanks for the great gadget.

RSch

Nov 28, 2011 at 3:08 PM

have the exact problem :(

windows 7 64-bit. no problems before.

Nov 28, 2011 at 4:53 PM

so i'm not alone with this, i almost went crazy with this (deletet settings ini, used 21.nov build, used another live account, different calendars, nothing works anymore :( )

Hoping for a fast fix :)

Nov 28, 2011 at 5:26 PM
Edited Nov 28, 2011 at 5:29 PM

PHew! Good to know I'm not the only one.  I installed the gadget on a friends laptop who had never had the gadget before and after the install, the settings page is blank. There are no defaults in each drop down. Since I saw a WLCAlendar.ini file in the sidebar folder for the previous gadget version, I'm wondering if that is the problem (or part of the problem, at least. New installs don't create an .ini and the settings page is always blank. It may just be a coincidence that the calendar links are also not working).  I'm also assuming none of us can get our calendar links to show in a browser either.

I have not been able to find an alternative to this awesome gadget. I love my Hotmail calendar at calendar.live.com and I loved being able to see what events were due each day right on my desktop without the need of a browser. I hope this gadget will continue to work in the future!

Note: the link in my first topic to the calendar has been reset so the link above can't be tested. Since its clear this is not an isolated issue, the link is not needed anyway for a test.

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:23 PM

it's working again, so it seems there was a problem with windows live.... i had this exact problem a few weeks ago, but it only lasted 12 hours or so......hmmm

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:32 AM
Yay!
Thanks very much for letting me know ; )
The only thing that’s an issue now is the fact that since removing the older version, I must use the Alpha version and copy the skin over I want, because re-installing the old version doesn’t create an .ini file or add settings to the main gadgets .ini , so using the calendar’s settings won’t work, because the ‘window’ has no values in it. Strange!
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2011 10:23 AM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: Worked Perfectly, Now Not Loading Calendar [wlcalendargadget:280911]

it's working again, so it seems there was a problem with windows live.... i had this exact problem a few weeks ago, but it only lasted 12 hours or so......hmmm

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:05 AM

@Computress

the blank settings page may appear, but when you just add a calendar and pres the ok button , the next time you open settings everthing is normal again (at least it was for me; seems the ini does get created, but only after you change something in the settings).

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:54 PM
OH, wow. Ok. I just installed the Alpha, which has the settings page, even without having added a calendar link. I had to get the Window’s Live Skin though and add it to the folder manually, because the Alpha doesn’t include it. Realizing how bad I freaked out when the links went dead, I wondered how I’d survive without the gadget if they aren’t supported in Windows 8. LOL I’m a C.S. major though, so, by the time 8 is released, I may be able to take the source code in to one of my instructors and ask for help making a compatible version. ; )
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 12:05 AM
Subject: Re: Worked Perfectly, Now Not Loading Calendar [wlcalendargadget:280911]

@Computress

the blank settings page may appear, but when you just add a calendar and pres the ok button , the next time you open settings everthing is normal again (at least it was for me; seems the ini does get created, but only after you change something in the settings).

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Hi guys,

it seems that the cause of this whole bunch of troubles is rss feed of the copelex which the gadget uses to check whether the updates are available. The gadget adds some dummy parameters after the url string in order to prevent the file to be loaded from cache. And this started to cause troubles, it seems that codeplex started to check such parameters and the result is error 500. I believe this is resolved in a new version I'm going to release but unfortunately the current versions of the gadget will not display an alert about the new version. Please tell then everyone you know that a new version is released. Give me 24hrs, thanks a lot!

Zbynek

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2011 at 5:28 PM

I've just released a new version of the gadget, please let me know if the problem still remains... Thanks!

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:28 PM
Cool, thx!! I’m currently using the Alpha version that was available on the site a few days ago and its working just fine! I will grab the new version as well though! Thx for the update ; )
Sent: Sunday, December 04, 2011 9:28 AM

I've just released a new version of the gadget, please let me know if the problem still remains... Thanks!