Recurring Events from Google Calendar Not Displaying

Oct 5, 2011 at 6:57 PM

The gadget is not properly displaying subsequent occurrences of recurring events from Google Calendar.  It seems to display the first event and any subsequent events that have had the time changed (for that individual event).  I loaded the GCal private ics links in the setup.  Any idea on a solution?

Coordinator
Oct 9, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Hi, the Google Calendar is not primarily supported service thus it is possible that there is some incompatibility. Would you mind to provide me a sample of your calendar for my testing purposes? You can use a contact form of the codeplex in order to contact me directly... Thank you

Oct 25, 2011 at 9:35 AM

I have the exact same problem. Recurring events are only shown once (with an icon indicating that they will be repeated). How can I help to solve that problem?

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Hi, would be possible to share your calendar (or some testing version) with me in order to allow me reproduce your issues? Thanks a lot!

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I've just released a new version of the gadget, please let me know if the problem still remains... Thanks!

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:07 PM
Edited Jan 24, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Hi, the problem with Google Calendar recurring events still exists. Only the next one of a recurring event is displayed in the gadget. By the time that one is in the past, again, only the next one of the remaining events is displayed.

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Here I have part of an email poulicek sent me on the topic, I think he just forgot to put the information up here:

"I don’t see currently any easy solution. This is actually not a bug but just a way how the gadget is implemented. I suppose you agree that all repeating events are correctly shown in the calendar part of the gadget but in the list it is displayed only the first occurrence of the event. It is done like that because I found extremely difficult to implement display also of next occurrences. You know, every occurrence of the event must be computed and since some event can have infinite number of occurrences it is not possible to pre-compute all of them but without this information I don’t see a possibility how to sort them and display correctly in the list.

I would love to fix this but I don’t see the way how for now. Do you think it is a big obstacle in using of the gadget? I mean the next occurrence of the event will always appear when the current one is finished and for the planning of your schedule I suppose you use the Google Calendar which shows the possible collisions. The gadget should play only informing role..."
Jan 24, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Thanks willscarlett for your posting of the reason why recurring events are not shown.

I would like to help with the code, because I think the problem can be solved because you only have to get the n (setting of the gui) next meetings. So, let's say (very simple situation) you have 2 infinite repeating meetings A and B, and that my setting is to show 10 events. You start with repeating event A: you only have calculate the first 10 occurrences of A. Then you move on to B: as long as the next calculated occurrence of B falls within the combined first 10 events, you add it. As soon as it's date falls outside the combined list of 10, you can stop calculating the next B.

Of course I don't know the possibilities in the implementation of the code of the gadget, but this sounds like a pretty easy algorithm?

Coordinator
Feb 29, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Hi, yes, it may be solved by generating the predefined number of events but there is always an issue to define the number of occurences. You never know the density of events and how many you need to generete in order to keep the right sequence of events. I don't see any solution which would work universaly and still keep the gadget loweight in terms of CPU time concumption. Anyway as the gadget is opensource, feel free to play with the source code...