WLC not working - issue with W7-64bit?

Feb 6, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Hi!

I've been using this great gadget and found it very useful. I use it to sync it with my google calendar across several computers.

Since some months I can't get it to work on a system with Windows 7 64bit.

When I download it (latest version, older versions, no matter what), and install it, only a small "<" sign on a white background appears on the desktop, and nothing else. My other gadgets are working fine (clock, wheather, etc.). I've tried this several times, each time deleting the gadget (uninstalling) and reinstalling it again, but nothing. I have also tried resetting the windows sidebar application, deleting manually the gadget files, etc. Nothing.

I've been digging this site for weeks to find a possible hint to my problem, but found none, so I'm asking for advice.

On another PC with Windos 7 32 bit, the gadget is working fine. Can it possibly be an issue with 64bit?

Thank you in advance and keep up the good work!

Coordinator
Feb 6, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Hello, this is weird. I am using it on both 32bit and 64bit systems (64bbit Profs. and Ultimate) and I haven't ever notice such issue. It seems there is raised an unhandled exception which causes the gadget to stop drawing. Could you please modify you register according to folowing hint, restart the sidebar.exe process and see what happen?

Registry modification for enabling display of script errors:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar] "ShowScriptErrors"=dword:00000001
(more info: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd370867(v=vs.85).aspx)

I suppose after restarting the gadget there will show up a message saying that an error has occured...

Thanks

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Windows 7 64-bit Pro

Downloaded gadget last night and seems to work with WLC and Google Calendar .ics

However, the dates on the calendar act strange. When lauched, only the current date is highlighted. If I change skins, then the dates with entries highlight and will stay highlighted when I change the skin back. Dates remain highlighted when changing months, as well. For instance, Feb 12 and 27 have entries. When I switch to March which don't have entries on those dates, the day remains highlighted. Eventually, scrolling through the year will highlight almost all days on the calendar.

Coordinator
Feb 22, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Hi, sorry for delayed response. Unfortunately I’m not able to reproduce your issue, gadget works fine for me. Could you please try the procedure described above? If no error appears, can you please send me a link to sample calendar which causes the issue? You can contact me directly by means of codeplex contact form in case you don’t want to share the link in public… Thanks!

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:59 PM
Edited Aug 3, 2011 at 11:24 PM

after having the gadget work like a charm for me for about a year i am now having the same problem where the gadget merely shows a small white box with a "<" in the bottom right corner of the white box.  i'm actually not too knowledgeable about adding registry keys so I don't know if i did it correctly, in the pathway i added a key which made a folder under sidebar called " "ShowScriptErrors"=dword:00000001 "  After making the change to the registry I ended the sidebar task, then opened it again.  nothing appeared in the registry.

edit:  so i guess in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar, i made a new key to create a pathway called [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar\ShowScriptErrors] then within that path i created a dword value named 00000001.  then i shut off sidebar.exe via taskmanager processes.  then i restarted the program via the exe located in c:\program files\windows sidebar.  there was no error message upon start up.

i'm using windows 7 64-bit

edit 2: i ended up using system restore, there was a point from yesterday as well as one from 4 days ago.  the point from yesterday did not resolve my issue, restoring to the point from 4 days ago (which system restore noted as a windows critical update did restore my calendar (microsoft security essentials client update package - KB2544035, and optional definition update for MSE KB 2310138).  between those 4 days i was experiencing constant crashes from google chrome and my AV picked up a trojan.  i'm currently rescanning my computer to see if the restore somehow restored the trojan again.  additionally i will re-install the updates and see if they impacted my calendar functionality.

edit 3: did a system restore and the only thing i did after was to reinstall chrome, then restarted my computer and my issue was duplicated.  restored system again, restarted my computer and the calendar was fine.

edit 4:  after previous system restore the trojan was still in my system.  i took the following steps:

1)  i located the trojan and deleted it, restarted, and did a full rescan; the system was clean and the calendar was fine.  2) installed the security updates for my MSE, restarted computer, calendar was intact.  3) uninstalled chrome, restarted computer.  problem was duplicated.

every time I uninstalled chrome i did not select a browser to replace chrome as my default browser, so maybe this is the cause.  alternatively, i don't use firefox so i don't know if it's an issue of not having a default browser, or specifically an issue with uninstalling chrome.  but now i think for sure there is a casual link between the uninstallation of chrome and my problem with the gadget, at least in my particular case.

Coordinator
Aug 7, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Hi, wow, that's a lot of work! Thank you so much for this precise description. It looks very weird, I'll try to do the same and I'll see whether I can reconstruct your issue. I'll let you know about the progress... Zbynek

Aug 15, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Hi,

I have the same problem - "only a small "<" sign on a white background appears on the desktop".  I can't say if it is specifically a 64bit issue because I have never used the gadget on any othe machine, however I am getting the same result as others describe when trying to operate WLCalendar on my W7 64bit laptop.  I have tried all the above suggestions to no avail so I am now stuck for ideas.  If a solution can be found that would be great.

Looking forward to a solution.  Thanks in advance.

Sirionman

Aug 26, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Further to my earlier post, I have coincidentally just done a OS re-install of my 64 bit W7 Laptop and the Gadget is now working as advertised with the fresh install.  There must have been some sort of "defect" with my previous installation (3 years old) to cause the problem but specifically what though I have no idea.  All is well now thankfully, and it also proves that the gadget mis-behaviour isn't anything to do with 64 bit particularly.  Hope this helps to the sum of knowledge.

Phil

Coordinator
Oct 9, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Hi, I still cannot reproduce the issue. I'm using W7 64bit as well, I've also tried all possible instalation procedures of Google Chrome but without any success, the gadget works correctly for me. Maybe the cause can be some Windows Update package, but it would be hard to detemine which one...

Coordinator
Oct 9, 2011 at 10:43 PM

The cause also may be security settings in the system which prevent to run scripts in the gadget. This article may be helpful: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2515657/en-us. Please let me know if this information helps...

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:55 AM
Phil Green
Thanks for the reply. I overcame the problem though: refer to my forum post from “sirionman” dated 26 Aug.
Further to my earlier post, I have coincidentally just done a OS re-install of my 64 bit W7 Laptop and the Gadget is now working as advertised with the fresh install. There must have been some sort of "defect" with my previous installation (3 years old) to cause the problem but specifically what though I have no idea. All is well now thankfully, and it also proves that the gadget mis-behaviour isn't anything to do with 64 bit particularly. Hope this helps to the sum of knowledge.”
Thanks once again.
Phil
Sent: Sunday, October 09, 2011 10:43 PM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: WLC not working - issue with W7-64bit? [wlcalendargadget:244871]

The cause also may be security settings in the system which prevent to run scripts in the gadget. This article may be helpful: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2515657/en-us. Please let me know if this information helps...

Coordinator
Oct 10, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Yes, I'm glad is working for you but still I would like to find the cause to make sure that noone else will experience the same troubles. Anyway thanks a lot for your help and comments, I appreciate it. Zbynek